Monday, July 27, 2009

How We Met - Byron's Version

THE BEGINNING…….I came to Tacoma, WA in June of 2000. I was in the US Army at the time, stationed on Fort Lewis, WA. I had my mind set at that time that I was not looking for a relationship, but did keep my options open for dating, with hopes of maybe finding the ideal woman for me, despite my past before coming to Washington. During my first year there, I met my best friend still today Tyrone Madison. It was his second time to be stationed in Washington. He told me about a club called Café Arizona. He stated it was a nice spot, where pretty much everyone goes on Saturdays. So to keep it short we would go time to time. After about a year or so, on one particular night; I didn’t want to go. As always, Tyrone would somehow talk me into it. I’m very glad that I did go because this was the night; I met the Love of my Life, Sheila Colon. I was never the type to go to clubs looking for that special someone, but you have to remember in life, God set the path for everyone’s future. I remember seeing her on the dance floor, dancing around alone. In my eyes she stood out above all the women that night. I watched her walk around the club, and unlike most of the women there, I was drawn by the way she walked, her beauty, her vibe, and the way she seemed to act as guys approached her for conversation. After a bit of observation, I then walked over to her, and introduced myself. I was taken by her smile, her voice, and the way she looked at me. I then asked her if she would like to dance. Through our brief conversation on the dance floor, I was eager learn more about her. Once our dance ended, we had brief conversation once again. I sensed her maturity, and sweetness. Her conversation with me, along with her beauty was enough to ensure I don’t lose contact with her. I then gave her my phone number, as she left for the night. The way she looked at me, I was sure I would get a phone call, and if not I’m pretty sure I would have been back to that club every Saturday night, until I saw her again.
THE TEST OF TIME……..After a few phone calls, we begin dating. I knew from the day one there was something very special about her. The more we dated; I learned that she had all the qualities of a woman that I could ever want. She was a single mother with high goals. She’s very career driven, loving mother, sweet, affectionate, understanding, funny, and very outgoing. She’s a beautiful woman who doesn’t mind getting dirty, and most of all she supported me, as still today with all my visions, and dreams. During this time I had many obstacles to surpass. I had just got out of a previous marriage, and had many rocks to bump away. Therefore, I would never commit to her because I wanted to be able to provide her with all the joys of life, with no issues. Still, she would not leave my side, and would always say, I love you, and we can get through this together. Later through the years there were many mile stones. I was not ready for a relationship, and she was. So we parted ways, many times during the years. Though we dated off and on, we always managed to stay in touch, or somehow cross paths to find one another. I was deployed to Iraq during our dating periods. Later I learned she was in a relationship, and I felt it was the end, and I would never get her back. I felt the world came crushing down on me. To bare her in another man’s arms. I knew how much she loved me, and I knew the love had to still been there. I later got in a relationship of my own. We talked and agreed to remain friends. I could tell by her voice, that she missed me. I missed her the same. I gave full respect to my girl friend at the time, and moved on. That relationship faded. Sheila’s faded as well. Then later I took a job overseas with a contract company. I was gone for 2 years overseas, then later moving back home to Birmingham, Al. I was home for a whole year. During that year, I saw Sheila online. She seemed upset because we never had that relationship, and I was away, so I assume she sensed it would never be. She ended our talks, but I knew deep in my heart, that I would someday come back for her. Then later I decided to go back overseas to work for the same company.
THE NEW BEGINNING……Once back overseas working, I decided to call Sheila. She was more content with me being away, because we had not talked in a while. We were both happy to be talking again. She praised me of my accomplishments with my career, and I did of hers. Later we begin having more and more conversations. I finally decided to make her my girl friend. Finally we were one. A path that we should have never got off of. She later visited me in Alabama. My family instantly fell in love with her. So that was a big plus. Things were off to a very good start. Sheila then begins to worry because she still didn’t feel completely safe with our relationship, because I was away, and she didn’t want to lose me again. She wanted a bigger commitment. Well little did she know, my mind was set the first day I contacted her after coming back overseas that, I was going to find the right moment and time to propose to her. I kept ensuring her that I was not going anywhere. That I was her’s for life. Still she was uncertain that I would come home, and move on, or decide later to stay overseas. It was a long road keeping the proposal away from her. She came to visit me again, while on one of my vacations at home. I did not propose at that time. I wanted it to be when I could have my whole family present. After 4 long months. The day finally came. The scene was perfect, the night was perfect, my bride to be was perfect, and my life was finally complete. I always knew in my heart that we would be together. My preacher use to always say; God will make a way out of no way. I carry those words with me every day. I never gave up on you Sheila Colon, and I promise to be the best husband, as well as your best friend………………I Love You!!!!!

Sheila's side note: I still have the flier he wrote his phone number on. I need to find it and I'll post it. And I loved that silky white shirt he had on that night. (Hehehe -- between us). We officially met November 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment